Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pack it up!

One week until we set a course for adventure!!! Ryan is so excited for this trip that he has literally been packed for months. Yes, months. Well, he's been taking things in and out of it, but he's got the list down pat. I started yesterday. Even though I was excited, I guess I needed to really see what I like wearing these days. This is going to be a pretty difficult trip to pack for, because, silly us, we are visiting Southeast Asia during monsoon season, which means HOT and WET! Yay. We did invest in panchos.

Most of our inspiration for packing has come from the blogs of others who have gone before us. My friend Ashley and her husband Justin are on a serious Round the World adventure now, a much longer and more physically demanding trip than we will be doing, but considering that we will be staying in some hostels along the way, we thought it best to pack lightweight, quick drying clothes. REI in New York became our best friend roundabout January. Ashley and Justin's packing lists are here http://theparallellife.com/things-we-carry/
Please check out their blog as well, because it's fantastic, and has been a true inspiration to us as we get ready for our own trip.

So, I'll be honest. I've never been what you call a 'light packer'. If you know me well, or have ever seen me move (and you've probably commented "you have so much stuff!" and you're right) then you might imagine how I actually fit a kitchen sink into a backpack. Not easily my friends, not easily at all. So, my goal for the trip was to really try to cut back. I've already started eliminating shirts. But, I guess I've done a better job at acquiring shirts that weigh next to nothing. I am limiting myself to 6 shirts, 5 tank tops, and 3 long sleeve tops. At least right now I am. We have to pack for the hot weather in Asia, the mild weather in southern Europe, and the not so warm weather of Denmark, London and Iceland at the end of October.

Let's start with my list so far: I have one Northface jacket for rain/wind/cool weather and a light zip up top to layer. After much deliberation, I am taking one pair of lightweight jeans, but Ryan won't be. I wear them a lot, I can roll them up like capris and I like them too much to leave them at home. I have one pair of black Columbia yoga/outdoor pants, one pair of Eddie Bauer travel pants that duel as capris and a pair of Eddie Bauer travel shorts. I'll take one pair of athletic shorts for beach and sleeping, 7 pairs of underwear, 3 bras, 5 socks, one pair of flip flops, a pair of Land's End lightweight gym type shoes, and my Chaco Travel sandals. I have a quick dry travel towel, a sarong for the beach, a hat and a scarf from my friend Liz Tracy. We're also carrying playing cards, a small LCR game, and a container of detergent. That's it so far. Toiletries and Ryan's list to follow!

2 comments:

  1. Bring a one piece on case the waves rip your pants off. Im not saying its happened to me or that my whole moon was exposed to a significant others mother, im just saying its always good to be prepared!

    Also things will be so cheap you can always pick stuff up along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list, thanks for the shout out :)

    ReplyDelete