Sunday, September 16, 2012

One night in Bangkok and the rest is...

When I decided to give Thailand another shot (my first adventure to this country was with a Korean tour group when I was teaching there- it was basically little Korea with that tour, and it sort of left a bad taste in my, and my teacher friend Mandy's mouth) I really wanted it to be better, more Thai, and not as fast paced and planned as a tour group. Sometimes, God laughs, and grants you what you wish for.

We arrived in Bangkok very, very late, and upon arrival, we thought we'd arranged a pick up from our hotel (which was nearby, because we knew we would arrive late), but no one was there and we didn't quite understand the visa entry business, which we found out we didn't need after all. There was much wandering around the airport and a lot of "fine, we'll try it your ways", but once we finally made it through immigration and customs, which was WAY easier than we made it, we found the entrance that we were supposed to meet said driver. There were lots if people there with signs, but none for us. I'm pretty sure I walked around like a dog chasing its tail for a few minutes before a lady found our name on a list and we were corralled into the waiting area. My backpack does not make for a very good pillow.

Our driver finally came, and we got into the hotel around 2 am, which had a cool loft set up, but brown water stains ran down the sloped ceiling and whilst trying to fall asleep at 3 am, a rooster kept crowing outside. He was clearly mixed up, or crazy, but perhaps he was just an omen for the remainder of our time in this country.

The shower in this place was not appealing in the morning, and neither was the "breakfast buffet", which was the lamest excuse for breakfast we've had since we started our trip. We ate toast, which suites Ryan fine since he has been hit by the dreaded travel bug, some say Delhi Belly, or travelers diarrhea. Now, since I had already suffered through my own bought of terrible tummy, in Cambodia and Vietnam, I could relate to the pain and discomfort brought about by said illness, but I just sucked it up, did what I could to stick to any semblance of the BRAT diet that I could find in Southeast Asia, and finally took the Cipro that my Dr. Had pre-prescribed for me. It all cleared up fine. Now remember that Ryan is a guy, and when guys get sick, it's not just a fix it and forget it type deal. He MUST have exclaimed that he was dying at least 30 times over the course of the last few days. I love him dearly, but whoa. Please Google "Man Cold" and watch the You Tube video for an accurate description.

So, we were exhausted, but the hotel sucked if we were honest, so we decided to head downtown Bangkok to the second place we'd booked (knowing it would be closer to the sights). Dream Hotel (no lie) is pretty cool, but slightly alarming with all it's neon blue lights. They've taken modernity to a whole new level. But, it didn't have water stains, or a rooster crowing through the night, and it had a bed with underlit blue lights. Luxury?

We needed a nap already, and since I've seen most of Bangkok sights, and Ryan was clearly dying of the plague we slept for a bit. We later went out to Kho San Road to meet up with our my friends Ashley and Justin, who I've mentioned before(find a link to their blog on my packing list post). I taught with Ashley in Spanish Harlem, and we had only ONE day in both our round the world trips (theirs is more like a year and a half- sheesh! Ryan would have been happy with just Korea and Vietnam!) where we could meet up. So, our one night in Bangkok(sing it, I know you want to), was actually a highlight. At least for me. I ate yummy pad Thai and drank beers with friends. Oh, and we ate a few fried grasshoppers. It's not Thailand if you don't eat dead bugs! Ryan had rice and broth and drank Sprite, but he did get along with Justin really well, so overall, it was positive. Thank God. It might be one of the few things that saves our memory from Thailand. Eek.

Next day we got up and organized ourselves for the trip to Koh Samet, an island that both the Internet and our guidebooks had said was about 3.5 hours away from Bangkok, which seemed about perfect for our time and budget in Thailand. At the bus station we learned that it would be another 1.5 hours before the bus left, plus we bought tickets for the ferry boat to the island from the closest pier. We tried eating lunch, but Ryan decided on bruschetta. Turns out bruschetta, a bad stomach, and a 4.5 hour bus ride, plus being ripped off for a speed boat that is overflowing with other tourists to the island, which is both bumpy, dangerous, got marooned on a sand bar at one point, and sends your husband into a full blown panic attack, well, it doesn't mix well.

We had to jump off the boat and wade through the water to check in, getting wet from the rain that had started hours before, to simply make the ride that much more enjoyable. We had finally made it to our bungalow and dry and warm bed, of which i had been dreaming of to make it through the past 8 hours. However, Ryan just laid there for awhile claiming he would never get on a boat ever, ever again. Didn't bide well for the return trip, but the massive stomach pains wracking his his body from avoiding the on board bus bathroom, or the Asian style squat toilets at the pier had mostly just broken his will to live. Lovely! We both just decided to go to bed.

I had high hopes that yesterday would be better. I went to breakfast alone based on Ryan's still aching tummy and the fear of, well, the world at this point, and took a walk along the beach in search of anything that might be suitable for a bad belly. Nope, not much, clearly Thailand isn't the place for bland food. Hrmmm.

I went back to find my beloved in bed, and later I coaxed him out on the balcony to take in the views of the ocean and soothe the soul, a la 1845. It kinda worked, we ended up taking another walk along the beach, and took a few pictures, I had a crepe, Ryan's mood and spirits improved though. I think his Cipro is finally starting to kick in.

I thought it was a very nice afternoon, all sunny and beachy, and I was ready for a swim. I left Ryan to rest and went down the beach left my towel, shirt and worries on the shore and went to float in the crystal waters for about 10 minutes! Ah refreshing!

Upon reentering the bungalow, all calm and carefree feelings vanished the instant that my phone fell on the floor. I then realized that my iPhone had been tucked in the strap of my bathing suit, and likewise had taken a dip in the ocean with me. Cue Jane's mental breakdown here. No bueno. Maybe Ryan is right, maybe we should have just quit after Vietnam. I am a total idiot.

Well, I guess when one door closes, yadda, yadda. Ryan leapt from his funk to my rescue, found rice at the front desk (at first they brought him cooked), and rinsed the salt water from the phone, and now it sits, entombed in a plastic Baggie of dry rice. I have absolutely no hope that it will turn on again, and Ryan has promised that we will look for an iPad when we go back to Bangkok, and I guess we've been wanting one anyways for awhile. This decision was compounded by the fact that my Nook charger crapped out, no kidding, 1 hour after the phone fiasco. I'm sure the next few days of 6 hour travel, then a day of 14 hour travel to Turkey will be super delightful.

Needless to say, Murphy's law is in full effect in Thailand. It's pouring today. I went to get a massage to make myself feel better. I do, a little. I suppose I shall take Ryan's phone back to him now. Maybe I'll read nothing, and watch the rain on the sea. I don't know if I'm willing to give Thailand any more shots after this round.

2 comments:

  1. Any way I might be able to send you a NOOK charger? Maybe in Turkey...or Rome?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane! I'm obsessed with reading your blog. You should consider travel writing, your descriptions are so vivid, beautiful and interesting.

    <3

    Erica

    ReplyDelete