Sunday, September 2, 2012

Life is a beach (and then another train)

On to to the next! We are now on our way to Hoi An, via Danang. This time we opted for a soft sleeper car, which is an upgrade to say the least! It took me awhile to figure out how to hoist my big backpack and myself up into the top bunk, then make my bed and store my bag in a little tiny compartment above the foot of the bed. Oh Jesus, I'm such a westerner! So, we both made it up safely, with only minor worries, and shared concerned chuckles between us and the Vietnamese couple below us about how we are of the big bone variety. Haha... Please God, let these chains hold. Oh, and by the way, the train rocks and bounces, so I'm pretty sure I'm always going to be one giant bump or rock in the track from crashing down and killing and/or maiming both me and the very smiley Vietnamese lady beneath me. I can only imagine her worries, but hey, we're about 2 hours in, and I haven't offed anyone yet.

We spent a very relaxing and amazing few days in Nha Trang. I'm so glad we went there, both because we needed to rest, and we wanted to do a diving trip on this leg of our adventure. Mission complete! We actually decided to upgrade our room and went for a suite that had huge windows and a veranda that overlooked the beach. It was glorious! It also entitles us to free breakfast and endless free drinks, happy hour cocktails and cake, and rooftop bar libations in the evening. We had big plans to go up there last night, but after diving all day (we had the cutest dive instructor who ushered us through the underwater delights of the coral reefs and many tropical fish around the islands off the coast- pictures to come!) and dining at a really good sushi restaurant we both sort of accidentally fell asleep at 8:30. We're kinda lame when it comes time to relax! But, I slept great, and we got up, had a wonderful buffet breakfast out on the veranda of the hotel, just across from the water. Lots of choices- fruit juices, waffles, cereal, dumplings, eggs made to order, salads, fried rice and pastries galore, bacon, sausage, pho made to order, oh and baked beans on toast- my favorite! We ate a big breakfast, because as we learned on our last trip, getting food on the train looks scary, and fills me with the fear of having to run to a bathroom on the train, which is really just a hole in the floor of the train and having to make a choice about using the toilet. Not happening. I'm not even drinking much so I will only have to pee once on the train. Scary!!!

Anyway, big breakfast, followed by a leisurely walk on the beach in the morning sun. Hot!! I'm pleased we went back to put sunscreen on! We saw a few families, celebrating Vietnamese Independence Day (there were many red flag decorations everywhere on the street), a few fisherman fishing for crabs (one pulled on up right in front of us as we walked and that little crab buried itself so fast in the sand we couldn't even see him anymore- good effort little guy), and just a few pieces of trash too many to make me want to venture in and swim in the ocean. I think they have recently picked up on the whole ecotourism idea around here, but old habits die hard for local fisherman I guess. It was still a beautiful day, and a good walk to see life on the beach. A few kids even wanted to say hi and practice their English with us!

Other than the locals and a few others, it was actually pretty dead around the area. Turns out we are traveling during the low season, and we really haven't met that many other travelers. Quite a few French and Russian vacationers comparably, but then again, I guess everyone else has jobs. Speaking of jobs, Ryan is the proud new owner of a job in Chicago! He'll be starting just after Thanksgiving, so between October 21st and then, we will be happily homeless and may even come to visit/stay with you! You know who you are! ;)

We rounded out our trip with some relaxing by the pool, swimming, sunbathing a bit, final showers in the superb bathroom in the hotel, and then got ready for the train. I was sad to let go of that view! And now, here we are, riding 1st class this time, watching the rice paddies and lotus flower/lily pad farms go by. It's rainy, so we spent the better half of the day by the water. So lovely! Let's see if this train can rock me to sleep for a bit. Hoi An, I shall see you when I wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment